Saturday, January 26, 2013

Breathing Lessons: Review

Breathing Lessons
Breathing Lessons
Author: Anne Tyler
Publisher:  Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.       
Pages: 327

Summary:

Maggie Moran's mission is to connect and unite people, whether they want to be united or not. Maggie is a meddler and as she and her husband, Ira, drive 90 miles to the funeral of an old friend, Ira contemplates his wasted life and the traffic, while Maggie hatches a plant to reunite her son Jesse with his long-estranged wife and baby. As Ira explains, "She thinks the people she loves are better than they really are, and so then she starts changing things around to suit her view of them." Though everyone criticizes her for being "ordinary," Maggie's ability to see the beauty and potential in others ultimately proves that she is the only one fighting the resignation they all fear. The book captured the Pulitzer Prize for literature in 1989.

My Thoughts:

I really don't know exactly what to say about this book. This novel has won a Pulitzer Prize and I just really can't see how. It didn't seem like anything special to me but perhaps it's just not my taste. Maggie is a meddler and stretched and twisted the truth to try and get people to do what she thought was best. She did these things because she cared and she thought she was helping but it always backfired on her. Half of the time I felt bad for her but the rest of the time I didn't because she put herself in those situations when she decided to stick her nose in other people's business. I was entertained throughout the story but when it ended I felt like it was a waste of time. To me it just felt like it was lacking something. It almost felt as if somebody just picked a random entry out of their journal and decided to publish it. Nothing extraordinary really happened. The plot just wasn't there in my opinion. I will try another book by this author because I have heard good things about her but this one just didn't do it for me.

Check This Book Out on Goodreads
Get it on Amazon


6 comments:

  1. Ugh. I hate when I read a book like that! I just reviewed a book that I went through the same thing with. It got so many great reviews and when I read it, I really didn't like it much and also thought it was a waste of time and book money! =[

    www.themakeupmother.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's the pits! :( Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't like the book. It sucks when you pick up a highly acclaimed book and it doesn't live upto your expectations.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does suck. :( And thanks for the follow! :)

      Delete
  4. Good review. Sometimes it happens, a book rubs you the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes it does, it's always a disappointment though. :(

      Delete

I love your comments!