Friday, March 1, 2013

Katie: The Little Girl Who Stuttered and Then Learned to Talk Fluently

Katie: The Little Girl Who Stuttered and Then Learned to Talk Fluently
Katie: The Little Girl Who Stuttered and Then Learned to Talk Fluently
Author: Ronald L. Webster
Publisher: Createspace
Pages: 40

Summary:

This heart-warming story about a smart, vivacious young girl who wants to overcome her stuttering inspires children and parents, alike.

Katie experiences some daily frustrations when her stuttering inhibits her ability to freely share her thoughts and feelings.

Katie's ardent journey to fluency is recounted in this unforgettable, non-fiction book.


My Thoughts:

This story is about a little girl, Katie, who stuttered. You get to go along on her journey to overcome stuttering.

Alright, I am going to first tell you all about the things that I didn't necessarily like about this book. I think the title it too lengthy, it's really a mouthful. I believe that something to the effect of Katie: The Little Girl Who Stuttered or Katie: The Girl Who Overcame Stuttering would have been more catchy. Second, the book was VERY descriptive and goes into detail of every part of her treatment and I found that my children were getting bored while I was reading this to them. For a childrens' book I think they could have changed this to make the book more interesting to kids.

Now for what I did like. I think that this book is great to read to your children if they don't stutter because it teaches them to be more accepting and understanding of people who do. It also shows them that people who stutter are not unintelligent and they should not be made fun of, teased, or bullied because of it. We all know there's a lot of that going around these days! This book would also be great for children who do stutter because it lets them know that they are not alone and there is hope for them to learn to speak without stuttering. So all in all, I liked this book I just think changes could be made to make it more appealing to children.

ADD IT ON GOODREADS
GET A COPY




4 comments:

  1. What a cute book. I agree with what you said about teaching kids about sensitivity to stuttering. I know as a kid I laughed until my Dad told me how mean it was and how would I feel. I never did it again and felt bad I did it at all.
    I love how books are out now that educate younger kids to all the differences we have as ppl.
    Thank u for the review & the blog follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it's a wonderful thing too. I am trying to teach my kids to be accepting and how bad it hurts to get teased. There is SO much bullying these days. Amd you're welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good tool for those purposes.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!